- two cans (16 oz) of drained organic garbanzo beans (Westbrae Organic is my preference) when you aren’t soaking and making fresh beans, which is always better, but the Westbrae brand is very good.
- juice of 4–6 lemons depending on the juiciness/size of the lemons
- many cloves of fresh garlic, half to a full bulb’s worth with the centers of each clove removed. (see picture at end of recipe)
- ¼ cup or more of organic tahini (roasted or raw)
- ¼ – ½ cup of water to make the blender deal with all this (I went through a blender a year until I got a Vitamix, guaranteed for life and so far six years without a problem)
- ¼ cup or so of organic olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped parsley
- paprika for color on top
- Za’atar if you can find it (Israeli herb mixture, try ordering on-line or ask everyone going to Israel to bring you some home)
The trick here is lots of lemon and garlic, if you use less than I recommend it won’t taste as good!
If you have the time, soak some organic chickpeas overnight, then boil for an hour and use those instead. If you don’t, it’s fine to use the canned ones. Rinse them thoroughly to get off the canned juice goo they come in. Blend all beans, garlic, lemon juice, tahini, water and ¼ cup olive oil, salt and pepper together in the blender. Start on your lower setting and build up. You don’t want your hummus too liquid and I like mine very blended. Taste and adjust, adding more lemon, salt, garlic, etc…
Pour out into a bowl for serving and then liberally douse with paprika, cover the entire surface with it, then drizzle olive oil over that and sprinkle freshly and finely chopped parsley or the Za’atar all over it. Serve with dinner, lunch, bread, and crackers or make sandwiches with artichoke hearts, tomato, lettuce, Dijon mustard and hummous, on French bread is best. (This is one of my favorite sandwiches.) This Who?Moose will keep for a week in a glass container.This recipe is in my cookbook, Divine Delights, Sephardic, French & Persian Foods ©2012 by Nicole Barchilon Frank, which is being updated and will be available for purchase here on this website in the not too distant future.